I love pizza. As a kid growing up in San Antonio our house was right next door to a Pizza Hut. So it’s no surprise that as an adult I make pizza for my family on a pretty regular basis. The most complicated thing about this recipe is shaving the butternut squash into thin slices. I use my food processor for this but if you don't have one you can always cut up the squash, toss it in olive oil with a little bit of salt and pepper, and roast it in the oven first.
Butternut Squash and Arugula Pizza
1 package of Pillsbury pizza dough
3 cups of thinly shaved butternut squash
1 small onion diced
1/2 cup of pine nuts
2 cups of arugula
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp of butter
1 cup goat cheese
1 cup of Asiago cheese shredded
balsamic vinegar to drizzle
1. Prepare the pizza dough as directed.
2. While pizza dough is in the oven cook onions and pine nuts until caramelized
3. Remove pizza dough from oven and let cool
4. Once cooled lightly oil the pizza with olive oil.
5. Cover the pizza with the butternut ribbons. It’s best to let them curl up and be wavy rather than lie flat against the pizza.
6. Next layer is the caramelized pine nuts and onions, followed by the arugula.
7.Then crumble the goat cheese over the pizza using a fork, followed by the shredded asiago.
8. Return to oven for another 6-10 minutes (long enough to melt the cheese).
9. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar